Parisian Memoirs Part I: Montmartre

Finally! I’ve got my visa. I can now start planning a three month trip to Europe, with my husband, Armand (who is currently completing an internship in Brussels. Check out his blog here: www.armantosan.blogspot.com).
I can already smell the fresh aroma of coffee and fresh croissants wafting into the streets. Or the cold smell of wet pavements early in the morning foot-traffic. The pitter-patter of feet on cobblestones.  Ah, how I miss Paris!
This trip is going to be my first proper European excursion. We are going to see at least one country per weekend. During the week I am going to explore Brussels and the surrounds.
In the past I had the privilege to spend three weeks alone in Paris and two in England. The longest I have travelled was in Japan for five week trip with Armand.  So three months in Europe is definitely going to be an enriching experience.
Today I am going to share a bit about my favourite part in Paris: Montmartre (or the 18th Arrondissement) . The bohemian centre. Several artists (sculptors, painters, writers, musicians etc) Dali, Picasso, van Gogh to even American writer, Langston Hughes used to live and/or work in Montmartre. Their influence can, even today, still be seen and felt in the arrondissement.

A few suggestions of the most popular things to do in Montmartre:
Visit place du Tetre. Here you can get your portrait done by one of the many artists sitting on the place. Or just take a stroll through the artists, admiring their work.
Visit the Sacre Coeur. This is a must. It truly is worth the Euros to see the inside of the Bascillica.
Visit the Dali Museum. The eeriness of Gaudi’s voice echoing through the museum truly adds to a surrealist experience.
This might not be as popular, but I enjoy wine, so this is something worth the trip down the cobblestone streets. Go and visit the only remaining vineyard in Paris. The vineyard itself is closed for the public except for certain festivals but it is still one of those magical places in Paris, having a certain historic charm to it. The wine can sometimes be bought in the souvenir shops in Montmartre, but I am not sure how drinkable it is. For more information on the vineyard, visit: http://www.gourmantic.com/2010/10/11/clos-montmartre-the-remaining-vineyard-in-paris/
My preferred thing to do in Montmartre:
I adore climbing the steep steps up to the Sacre Coeur on Rue Foyatier (there is also a bus and funicular railway for those not keen on climbing. It is truly idyllic when the street lamps are lit and the bustle of the day has died down.  I do think it is worth the time to sit and, being truly touristy, eat a crepe or a sandwich in front of the Sacre Coeur. This is truly one of the most beautiful views of Paris, and best of all, it’s for free! 

Where are your favourite places in Paris. If you've never been there, would you like to go to Paris and what would you like to see?

0 comments: