Nigella Recipe Challenge: Spiced Peaches (2)


On Saturday I splurged at the Hazel Food Market’s spice stall. The smells and the vibrant colours of the different spices immediately drew me in and I bought a few extra spices; cardammon, star aniseed, cloves and cinnamon sticks. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it  – make and review Nigella’s Spiced Peaches recipe (this is my second review). We also bought a wonderful La Petite France Bree cheese, and I knew the peaches would be a great accompaniment to the cheese.

 (You can find the recipe here:  http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spiced-peaches-95).

Spiced Peaches

Ingredients:
2 cans peach halves (or slices) in syrip (800grams)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or rice vinegar)
2 cinnamon sticks
4 centimetres fresh ginger (peeled and sliced thinly into rounds)
·         ½ teaspoons dried chilli (flakes)
·        ¼ teaspoon table salt ( or ½ teaspoons maldon salt)
·         3 cloves

Add the peach halves and the syrup into a large sauce pan. Add the vinegar, cinnamon, ginger, chilli and salt and heat over medium heat until it starts to boil. Let it simmer for a few minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve (hot or cold). 

The result: delicious golden peaches

spiced peaches
Note: I added some star aniseed to the recipe, as it is one of my favourite spices and I think it would complement the different flavours. The recipe says that you should add peppercorns, although it doesn't list it in its ingredients list. I added three peppercorns and it tastes great. I also made some more syrup by mixing brown sugar with warm water. The peaches can be kept for a few days in an airtight container, and I am sure they can be kept longer if they are bottled properly.




This is definitely one of my favourite recipes as it is very quick and easy to make. The best part is how the rich aroma of the spices starts to develop, becoming more deep and complex. Only when the peaches and syrup cool down, do you get the full richness of the spiced up peaches. Next time I am going to add some orange rind and see how that goes. 
Yummy Petite France Bree Cheese and Spiced Peaches

Nigella suggest to serve this with ham and also suggests using cheese. I paired it with cheese (even baked bree or camembert will  make excellent choices), pouring  the sauce over a very tasty Bree.

Nigella Lawson's Recipe
Delicious Spiced Peaches and Bree
I will definitely make this again, in summer or in winter.


Have you tried this recipe? With what will you present it? And do you like spiced peaches?

0 comments: